Examples of Argumentative Essays
We will write a custom essay just for you for only
$15.99 $13per page
899 Certified writers online
What’s an argumentative essay
An argumentative essay is a piece of writing that takes a stance on a topic.
The main elements of a good argumentative essay are investigating a topic, gathering, generating, and evaluating the evidence, establishing a stance on the topic, and writing in a format that is understandable to the reader.
Even if the topic is controversial, you might not want to take a strong stance for or against it.
It is helpful to have arguments that have a new point of view and are a chance to appreciate your writing skills.
How do you start an argumentative essay topic?
Suggestions for developing an argumentative essay:
- Pick a topic that interests, puzzles, or appeals to you and the reader.
- The position that you take on the topic will help you create a thesis statement.
- Consider your audience
- Your presentation should be clear with convincing evidence.
- Write your essay
- Edit and check for plagiarism.
Check out in detail the structure of an argumentative essay
What should be avoided in argument writing?
Here are five things you should avoid when drafting your argumentative essay:
- Skipping the outline
- Not doing enough research on your topic
- Unclear thesis statement
- Not support your arguments
- Uncoordinated conclusion
You may also be interested in 200+ Topics of Argumentative Essays.
What is argumentative research?
An argumentative research paper is analytical but it uses information as evidence to support its idea and just as a lawyer uses evidence itself to make their case.
A list of the best argumentative essay topic ideas for college students.
- School students should be allowed to curate their high school curriculum.
- The role of physical education in the school system.
- Should the death sentence be implemented globally?
- It should be illegal to use certain types of animals for experiments and other research purposes.
- Should the government do more to improve accessibility for people with physical disabilities?
- Do people learn the art of becoming a politician, or are they born with it?
- Social media platform owners should monitor and block comments containing hateful language.
- Does technology play a role in making people feel more isolated?
- Will there ever be a time when there will be no further technological advancements?
- It should be illegal to produce and sell tobacco.
- Girls should be motivated to take part in sports.
- Rape victims should abort their unborn children.
- Fathers should get equal paternity leave.
- Do teenagers get into trouble because they are bored?
- Individuals who have failed at parenting should be punished.
- Vaping is less harmful than smoking cigarettes.
- Covid-19 vaccination has more cons than pros.
- Social media is the real cause of teenage depression.
- Is the American education system perfect for society?
- Recycling should be made compulsory.
- Are men and women equally emotional?
- Are printed books better than e-readers?
- Should the drinking age be lowered?
- Are parents responsible for childhood obesity?
- Should college be free of charge?
- Should beauty standards be more inclusive?
- Are all college majors equally important?
- Is social media bad for children?
- Has technology changed our definition of magic?
- Is it worth exploring space?
- Should all internships be paid?
- Should income be tied to the cost of a degree?
- Is climate change the most serious threat to the world?
- Is feminism still important?
- Has society made the necessary reparations for slavery?
- Should elections be decided by popular vote?
- Are all people entitled to free health care?
- Do anti-discrimination laws do enough to protect disabled students?
- Is a degree from an online college as legitimate as a degree from a brick-and-mortar school?
- Is it a conflict of interest for a professor to require students to purchase his book?
Find more here: 200+ college argumentative essay topic ideas
A list of Argumentative essay topic ideas for high school students
- Should people be allowed to burn the flag?
- Should parents get in trouble for truancy if kids don’t go to school?
- Is social media bad for relationships?
- Should companies be required to hire a diverse staff?
- Are women and men treated equally in your society?
- Should the minimum wage be raised?
- Should every student go to college?
- Is climate change a real threat?
- Are wind farms a benefit to the environment and economy?
- Should people be allowed to wear fur coats?
- Is it a bad idea to sample your DNA for genealogy?
- Should parents be able to say they don’t want medical treatment for their kids?
- Is the United States falling behind other countries in terms of education?
- Do the actions of a country’s leader influence the actions of the people?
- Should the electoral college be abolished?
- Should schools be required to offer art courses?
- Should all new cars be electric?
- Will artificial intelligence help the world or hurt it?
- Should high school students work during the school year?
- Are there forms of personal expression that shouldn’t be allowed in schools?
A list of Argumentative essay topic ideas for middle school students
- Should middle schoolers have jobs like babysitting or mowing lawns?
- Are beauty pageants a good idea?
- Are violent video games bad?
- Should parents be able to say whether kids can dye their hair?
- Does social media do more harm than good?
- Do middle schoolers have too much homework?
- Does homework help kids learn?
- Should teachers get paid more?
- Is life more challenging for your generation or your parents’?
- Why is your favorite musician better than anyone else?
- Should kids read age-appropriate books, or is it okay to read grown-up books?
- Should there be ratings (like G, PG, and R) for movies?
- Is it better to ride the bus or walk to school?
- Is school lunch good for kids?
- Do you think an hour of reading or an hour of exercising is more beneficial?
- Should gym class be required?
- Should kids get paid for getting good grades?
- Is it better to have class over the computer or in person?
- Is cyberbullying as big a problem as in-person bullying?
- Should all cars be electric?
Argumentative essay topics on education
- Is cheating getting worse?
- Should students be able to grade their teachers?
- Does your school hand out too many a’s?
- Should middle school students be drug tested?
- Should reading and math be taught in gym class too?
- How seriously should we take standardized tests?
- How well do you think standardized tests measure your abilities?
- Do you spend too much time preparing for standardized tests?
- Should schools offer cash bonuses for good test scores?
- Should we rethink how long students spend in high school?
- Do schools provide students with enough opportunities to be creative?
- What are you really learning at school?
- How important is arts education?
- Does gym help students perform better in all their classes?
- Who should be able to see students’ records?
- Are children of illegal immigrants entitled to public education?
- What is the right amount of group work in a school?
- Is your school day too short?
- Do you think a longer school calendar is a good idea?
- Should the dropout age be raised?
- Should students be allowed to skip their senior year of high school?
- How does your school deal with students who misbehave?
- Should school be allowed to use corporal punishment?
- How big a problem is bullying or cyberbullying in your school or community?
- How should schools address bullying?
- Should schools put tracking devices on students’ id cards?
- What do you think of grouping students by ability in schools?
Argumentative essay topics on technology and social media
- Are the web filters at your school too restrictive?
- Does technology make us more alone?
- Are you distracted by technology?
- Do apps help you or just waste your time?
- Do you spend too much time on smartphones playing ‘stupid games?
- Has Facebook lost its edge?
- Does Facebook ever make you feel bad?
- Should what you say on Facebook be grounds for getting fired?
- Should people be allowed to obscure their identities online?
- What should the punishment be for acts of cyberbullying?
- Is online learning as good as face-to-face learning?
- Do your teachers use technology well?
- Should tablet computers become the primary way students learn in class?
- Can cell phones be educational tools?
- Should computer games be used for classroom instruction?
- How young is too young for an iPhone?
- Should companies collect information about you?
- Would you trade your paper books for digital versions?
- Do we need a new way to teach math?
- Does class size matter?
- Should all students get equal space in a yearbook?
- Is prom worth it?
- How important are parent-teacher conferences?
- Should all children be able to go to preschool?
- Should colleges use admissions criteria other than sat scores and grades?
- What criteria should be used in awarding scholarships for college?
- Do you support affirmative action?
- Do college rankings matter?
- How necessary is a college education?
- Should engineers pay less for college than English majors?
- Are digital photographs too plentiful to be meaningful?
- Do you worry we are filming too much?
- Would you want a pair of Google’s computer glasses?
- How would you feel about a computer grading your essays?
- What role will robots play in our future?
- How many text messages are too many?
- How much do you trust online reviews?
Argumentative essay topics on Arts and Media: TV, Music, Video Games, and Literature
- Why do we like to watch rich people on TV and in the movies?
- Do TV shows like “16 and Pregnant” promote or discourage teenage pregnancy?
- Does TV capture the diversity of America yet?
- Is TV too white?
- Is TV stronger than ever, or becoming obsolete?
- Does reality TV promote dangerous stereotypes?
- What current musicians do you think will stand the test of time?
- What artists or bands of today are destined for the rock and roll hall of fame?
- What musician, actor or author should be a superstar, but hasn’t quite made it yet?
- Will musical training make you more successful?
- Should video games be considered a sport?
- Should store’s sell violent video games to minors?
- Can a video game be a work of art?
- Do violent video games make people more violent in real life?
- When should you feel guilty for killing zombies?
- What game would you like to redesign?
- What were the best movies you saw in the past year?
- To what Writer would you award a prize?
- Do you prefer your children’s book characters obedient or contrary?
- Where is the line between truth and fiction?
- Can graffiti ever be considered art?
- Do we need art in our lives?
- What makes a good commercial?
- Why did a cheerios ad attract so many angry comments online?
- Does pop culture deserve serious study?
Argumentative essay topics on gender issues
- Do parents have different hopes and standards for their sons than for their daughters?
- Is school designed more for girls than boys?
- Is there too much pressure on girls to have ‘perfect’ bodies?
- How much pressure do boys face to have the perfect body?
- Do Photoshopped images make you feel bad about your own looks?
- Is it O.K. for men and boys to comment on women and girls on the street?
- What should we do to fight sexual violence against young women?
- How do you feel about Rihanna and Chris Brown getting back together?
- Do fraternities promote misogyny?
- Why aren’t there more girls in leadership roles?
- Why aren’t more girls choosing to pursue careers in math and science?
- Should women be allowed to fight on the front lines alongside men?
- Do you believe in equal rights for women and men?
- Are women better at compromising and collaborating?
- Do boys have less intense friendships than girls?
Argumentative essay topics on sports and athletics
- If football is so dangerous to players, should we be watching it?
- Should parents let their children play football?
- Should college football players get paid?
- When do pranks cross the line to become bullying?
- Has baseball lost its cool?
- Are some youth sports too intense?
- Is it offensive for sports teams to use Native American names and mascots?
- Where should colleges and sports teams draw the line in selling naming rights?
- Should colleges fund wellness programs instead of sports?
- Is cheerleading a sport?
- How big a deal is it that an N.B.A. player came out as gay?
- Should there be stricter rules about how coaches treat their players?
- Should athletes who dope have to forfeit their titles and medals?
- Should sport betting be legal everywhere?
- Should home-schoolers be allowed to play public school sports?
- Would you want a bike share program for your community?
Argumentative essay topics on politics and the legal system
- What local problems do you think your mayor should try to solve?
- If you were governor of your state, how would you spend a budget surplus?
- When is the use of military force justified?
- What is more important: our privacy or national security?
- Should the U.S. be spying on its friends?
- Do you trust your government?
- What do you think of the police tactic of stopand-frisk?
- Do rich people get off easier when they break the law?
- Should rich people have to pay more taxes?
- Do laws that ban offensive words make the world a better place?
- Is it principled, or irresponsible, for politicians to threaten a shutdown?
- Do leaders have moral obligations?
- Do great leaders have to be outgoing?
- How should we prevent future mass shootings?
- Should guns be permitted on college campuses?
- Would you feel safer with armed guards patrolling your school?
- What is your relationship with guns?
- Do you support or oppose the death penalty?
- When should juvenile offenders receive life sentences? Parenting and Childhood
Check Out A Sample Argumentative Essay on the legalization of marijuana
Argumentative essay topics on parenting and childhood
- Do we give children too many trophies?
- When do you become an adult?
- When should you be able to buy cigarettes, drink alcohol, vote, drive and fight in wars?
- Should the morning-after pill be sold over the counter to people under 17?
- Should birth control pills be available to teenage girls without a prescription?
- Is modern culture ruining childhood?
- Are adults hurting young children by pushing them to achieve?
- How, and by whom, should children be taught appropriate behavior?
- What can older people learn from your generation?
- Do ‘shame and blame’ work to change teenage behavior?
- How should children be taught about puberty and sex?
- Is dating a thing of the past?
- How should parents handle a bad report card?
- Should children be allowed to wear whatever they want?
- How should educators and legislators deal with minors who ‘sext’?
- Do you think child stars have it rough?
Check Out A Sample Argumentative Essay about Abortion
Argumentative essay topics on health and nutrition
- Is smoking still a problem among teenagers?
- Are antismoking ads effective?
- Is drinking and driving still a problem for teenagers?
- Do you think a healthier school lunch program is a lost cause?
- How concerned are you about where your food comes from?
- Is it ethical to eat meat?
- Do you prefer your tacos ‘authentic’ or ‘appropriated’?
- Should the government limit the size of sugary drinks?
- Should marijuana be legal?
- Should students be required to take drug tests?
Argumentative essay topics on personal character and morality
- Do bystanders have a responsibility to intervene when there is trouble?
- Should you care about the health and safety of those making your clothing?
- Can money buy you happiness?
- Does buying and accumulating more and more stuff make us happier?
- Are we losing the art of listening?
- Do people complain too much?
- Can kindness become cool?
- Which is more important: talent or hard work?
- How important is keeping your cool?
- When should you compromise?
- Is your generation more self-centered than earlier generations?
- Can you be good without God?
- Have curse words become so common they have lost their shock value?
- What words or phrases should be retired in 2014?
- What words or phrases do you think are overused?
- Should couples live together before marriage?
- How important do you think it is to marry someone with the same religion?
- How long is it O.K. to linger in a cafe or restaurant?
- Does keeping a messy desk make people more creative?
- How important is keeping a clean house?
Argumentative essay topics on science
- Should scientists try to help people beat old age so we can live longer lives?
- Given unlimited resources, what scientific or medical problem would you investigate?
- When is it O.K. to replace human limbs with technology?
- Do you think life exists — or has ever existed — somewhere besides earth?
- Should fertilized eggs be given legal ‘personhood’?
- How concerned are you about climate change?
Other argumentative essay topics
- Is it wrong for a newspaper to publish a frontpage photo of a man about to die?
- What causes should philanthropic groups finance?
- Should charities focus more on America?
- Should the private lives of famous people be off limits?
- Did a newspaper act irresponsibly by publishing the addresses of gun owners?
- Would you rather work from home or in an office?
- What time should Black Friday sales start?
- Do you shop at locally owned businesses?
- How much does your neighborhood define who you are?
Get your 100% original paper done on any topic done as in as little as 4 hours