200+ College Argumentative Essay Topics Ideas
We will write a custom essay just for you for only
$15.99 $13per page
899 Certified writers online
Here is a list of college argumentative essay topics:
What’s an argumentative essay
Before diving into college argumentative essay topics let’s first define what an argumentative essay is all about.
An argumentative essay is a piece of writing that takes a stance on a topic.
The main elements of a good argumentative essay are investigating a topic, gathering, generating, and evaluating the evidence, establishing a stance on the topic, and writing in a format that is understandable to the reader.
Even if the topic is controversial, you might not want to take a strong stance for or against it.
It is helpful to have arguments that have a new point of view and are a chance to appreciate your writing skills.
How do you start an argumentative essay topic?
Suggestions for developing an argumentative essay:
- Pick a topic that interests, puzzles, or appeals to you and the reader.
- The position that you take on the topic will help you create a thesis statement.
- Consider your audience
- Your presentation should be clear with convincing evidence.
- Write your essay
- Edit and check for plagiarism.
What should be avoided in argument writing?
Here are five things you should avoid when drafting your argumentative essay:
- Skipping the outline
- Not doing enough research on your topic
- Unclear thesis statement
- Not supporting your arguments
- Uncoordinated conclusion
What is argumentative research?
An argumentative research paper is analytical but it uses information as evidence to support its idea and just as a lawyer uses evidence itself to make their case.
A list of the best argumentative essay topics ideas for college students.
- School students should be allowed to curate their high school curriculum.
- The role of physical education in the school system.
- Should the death sentence be implemented globally?
- It should be illegal to use certain types of animals for experiments and other research purposes.
- Should the government do more to improve accessibility for people with physical disabilities?
- Do people learn the art of becoming a politician, or are they born with it?
- Social media platform owners should monitor and block comments containing hateful language.
- Does technology play a role in making people feel more isolated?
- Will there ever be a time when there will be no further technological advancements?
- It should be illegal to produce and sell tobacco.
- Girls should be motivated to take part in sports.
- Rape victims should abort their unborn children.
- Fathers should get equal paternity leave.
- Do teenagers get into trouble because they are bored?
- Individuals who have failed at parenting should be punished.
- Vaping is less harmful than smoking cigarettes.
- Covid-19 vaccination has more cons than pros.
- Social media is the real cause of teenage depression.
- Is the American education system perfect for society?
- Recycling should be made compulsory.
- Are men and women equally emotional?
- Are printed books better than e-readers?
- Should the drinking age be lowered?
- Are parents responsible for childhood obesity?
- Should college be free of charge?
- Should beauty standards be more inclusive?
- Are all college majors equally important?
- Is social media bad for children?
- Has technology changed our definition of magic?
- Is it worth exploring space?
- Should all internships be paid?
- Should income be tied to the cost of a degree?
- Is climate change the most serious threat to the world?
- Is feminism still important?
- Has society made the necessary reparations for slavery?
- Should elections be decided by popular vote?
- Are all people entitled to free health care?
- Do anti-discrimination laws do enough to protect disabled students?
- Is a degree from an online college as legitimate as a degree from a brick-and-mortar school?
- Is it a conflict of interest for a professor to require students to purchase his book?
Argumentative essay topics on education
- Is cheating getting worse?
- Should students be able to grade their teachers?
- Does your school hand out too many a’s?
- Should middle school students be drug tested?
- Should reading and math be taught in gym class too?
- How seriously should we take standardized tests?
- How well do you think standardized tests measure your abilities?
- Do you spend too much time preparing for standardized tests?
- Should schools offer cash bonuses for good test scores?
- Should we rethink how long students spend in high school?
- Do schools provide students with enough opportunities to be creative?
- What are you really learning at school?
- How important is arts education?
- Does gym help students perform better in all their classes?
- Who should be able to see students’ records?
- Are children of illegal immigrants entitled to public education?
- What is the right amount of group work in a school?
- Is your school day too short?
- Do you think a longer school calendar is a good idea?
- Should the dropout age be raised?
- Should students be allowed to skip their senior year of high school?
- How does your school deal with students who misbehave?
- Should schools be allowed to use corporal punishment?
- How big a problem is bullying or cyberbullying in your school or community?
- How should schools address bullying?
- Should schools put tracking devices on students’ id cards?
- What do you think of grouping students by ability in schools?
Argumentative essay topics on technology and social media
- Are the web filters at your school too restrictive?
- Does technology make us more alone?
- Are you distracted by technology?
- Do apps help you or just waste your time?
- Do you spend too much time on smartphones playing ‘stupid games?
- Has Facebook lost its edge?
- Does Facebook ever make you feel bad?
- Should what you say on Facebook be grounds for getting fired?
- Should people be allowed to obscure their identities online?
- What should the punishment be for acts of cyberbullying?
- Is online learning as good as face-to-face learning?
- Do your teachers use technology well?
- Should tablet computers become the primary way students learn in class?
- Can cell phones be educational tools?
- Should computer games be used for classroom instruction?
- How young is too young for an iPhone?
- Should companies collect information about you?
- Would you trade your paper books for digital versions?
- Do we need a new way to teach math?
- Does class size matter?
- Should all students get equal space in a yearbook?
- Is prom worth it?
- How important are parent-teacher conferences?
- Should all children be able to go to preschool?
- Should colleges use admissions criteria other than sat scores and grades?
- What criteria should be used in awarding scholarships for college?
- Do you support affirmative action?
- Do college rankings matter?
- How necessary is a college education?
- Should engineers pay less for college than English majors?
- Are digital photographs too plentiful to be meaningful?
- Do you worry we are filming too much?
- Would you want a pair of Google’s computer glasses?
- How would you feel about a computer grading your essays?
- What role will robots play in our future?
- How many text messages are too many?
- How much do you trust online reviews?
Here is a sample argumentative essay about social media
Argumentative essay topics on Arts and Media: TV, Music, Video Games, and Literature
- Why do we like to watch rich people on TV and in the movies?
- Do TV shows like “16 and Pregnant” promote or discourage teenage pregnancy?
- Does TV capture the diversity of America yet?
- Is TV too white?
- Is TV stronger than ever, or becoming obsolete?
- Does reality TV promote dangerous stereotypes?
- What current musicians do you think will stand the test of time?
- What artists or bands of today are destined for the rock and roll hall of fame?
- What musician, actor, or author should be a superstar, but hasn’t quite made it yet?
- Will musical training make you more successful?
- Should video games be considered a sport?
- Should store’s sell violent video games to minors?
- Can a video game be a work of art?
- Do violent video games make people more violent in real life?
- When should you feel guilty for killing zombies?
- What game would you like to redesign?
- What were the best movies you saw in the past year?
- To what Writer would you award a prize?
- Do you prefer your children’s book characters obedient or contrary?
- Where is the line between truth and fiction?
- Can graffiti ever be considered art?
- Do we need art in our lives?
- What makes a good commercial?
- Why did a cheerios ad attract so many angry comments online?
- Does pop culture deserve serious study?
Argumentative essay topics on gender issues
- Do parents have different hopes and standards for their sons than for their daughters?
- Is school designed more for girls than boys?
- Is there too much pressure on girls to have ‘perfect’ bodies?
- How much pressure do boys face to have the perfect body?
- Do Photoshopped images make you feel bad about your own looks?
- Is it O.K. for men and boys to comment on women and girls on the street?
- What should we do to fight sexual violence against young women?
- How do you feel about Rihanna and Chris Brown getting back together?
- Do fraternities promote misogyny?
- Why aren’t there more girls in leadership roles?
- Why aren’t more girls choosing to pursue careers in math and science?
- Should women be allowed to fight on the front lines alongside men?
- Do you believe in equal rights for women and men?
- Are women better at compromising and collaborating?
- Do boys have less intense friendships than girls?
Argumentative essay topics on sports and athletics
- If football is so dangerous to players, should we be watching it?
- Should parents let their children play football?
- Should college football players get paid?
- When do pranks cross the line to become bullying?
- Has baseball lost its cool?
- Are some youth sports too intense?
- Is it offensive for sports teams to use Native American names and mascots?
- Where should colleges and sports teams draw the line in selling naming rights?
- Should colleges fund wellness programs instead of sports?
- Is cheerleading a sport?
- How big a deal is it that an N.B.A. player came out as gay?
- Should there be stricter rules about how coaches treat their players?
- Should athletes who dope have to forfeit their titles and medals?
- Should sport betting be legal everywhere?
- Should home-schoolers be allowed to play public school sports?
- Would you want a bike share program for your community?
Argumentative essay topics on politics and the legal system
- What local problems do you think your mayor should try to solve?
- If you were governor of your state, how would you spend a budget surplus?
- When is the use of military force justified?
- What is more important: our privacy or national security?
- Should the U.S. be spying on its friends?
- Do you trust your government?
- What do you think of the police tactic of stop and-frisk?
- Do rich people get off easier when they break the law?
- Should rich people have to pay more taxes?
- Do laws that ban offensive words make the world a better place?
- Is it principled, or irresponsible, for politicians to threaten a shutdown?
- Do leaders have moral obligations?
- Do great leaders have to be outgoing?
- How should we prevent future mass shootings?
- Should gun be permitted on college campuses?
- Would you feel safer with armed guards patrolling your school?
- What is your relationship with guns?
- Do you support or oppose the death penalty?
- When should juvenile offenders receive life sentences? Parenting and Childhood
Here is a sample argumentative essay on the legalization of marijuana
Argumentative essay topics on parenting and childhood
- Do we give children too many trophies?
- When do you become an adult?
- When should you be able to buy cigarettes, drink alcohol, vote, drive and fight in wars?
- Should the morning-after pill be sold over the counter to people under 17?
- Should birth control pills be available to teenage girls without a prescription?
- Is modern culture ruining childhood?
- Are adults hurting young children by pushing them to achieve?
- How, and by whom, should children be taught appropriate behaviour?
- What can older people learn from your generation?
- Do ‘shame and blame’ work to change teenage behaviour?
- How should children be taught about puberty and sex?
- Is dating a thing of the past?
- How should parents handle a bad report card?
- Should children be allowed to wear whatever they want?
- How should educators and legislators deal with minors who ‘sext’?
- Do you think child stars have it rough?
Here is a sample of an argumentative essay about abortion
Argumentative essay topics on health and nutrition
- Is smoking still a problem among teenagers?
- Are antismoking ads effective?
- Is drinking and driving still a problem for teenagers?
- Do you think a healthier school lunch program is a lost cause?
- How concerned are you about where your food comes from?
- Is it ethical to eat meat?
- Do you prefer your tacos ‘authentic’ or ‘appropriated’?
- Should the government limit the size of sugary drinks?
- Should marijuana be legal?
- Should students be required to take drug tests?
Argumentative essay topics on personal character and morality
- Do bystanders have a responsibility to intervene when there is trouble?
- Should you care about the health and safety of those making your clothing?
- Can money buy you happiness?
- Does buying and accumulating more and more stuff make us happier?
- Are we losing the art of listening?
- Do people complain too much?
- Can kindness become cool?
- Which is more important: talent or hard work?
- How important is keeping your cool?
- When should you compromise?
- Is your generation more self-centered than earlier generations?
- Can you be good without God?
- Have curse words become so common they have lost their shock value?
- What words or phrases should be retired in 2014?
- What words or phrases do you think are overused?
- Should a couple live together before marriage?
- How important do you think it is to marry someone of the same religion?
- How long is it O.K. to linger in a cafe or restaurant?
- Does keeping a messy desk make people more creative?
- How important is keeping a clean house?
Argumentative essay topics on science
- Should scientists try to help people beat old age so we can live longer lives?
- Given unlimited resources, what scientific or medical problem would you investigate?
- When is it O.K. to replace human limbs with technology?
- Do you think life exists — or has ever existed — somewhere besides earth?
- Should fertilized eggs be given legal ‘personhood’?
- How concerned are you about climate change?
Other argumentative essay topics
- Is it wrong for a newspaper to publish a front-page photo of a man about to die?
- What causes should philanthropic groups finance?
- Should charities focus more on America?
- Should the private lives of famous people be off-limits?
- Did a newspaper act irresponsibly by publishing the addresses of gun owners?
- Would you rather work from home or in an office?
- What time should Black Friday sales start?
- Do you shop at locally owned businesses?
- How much does your neighborhood define who you are?
Get your 100% original paper done on any topic done as in as little as 4 hours